DC Cherry Blossoms
WASHINGTON (AP) - A continuing streak of warm weather means the famed cherry blossoms in the nation's capital will reach their peak bloom earlier than expected.
National Cherry Blossom Festival spokeswoman Danielle Piacente said Wednesday that the chief horticulturist for the National Park Service is now projecting a peak bloom between March 20 and March 23.
Earlier predictions were for between March 24 and March 31.
The blooming period is expected to begin March 18.
The festival is still scheduled from March 20 through April 27. This year's festival marks the 100th anniversary of the gift of trees from Japan.
- Workers Rescued from Malfunctioning Cherry Picker
- Security Planning Under Way for Conventions
- Death Toll Rises to Two in Marion County from Meningitis Outbreak
- Furloughs Threaten National Guard's Readiness in Event of a Hurricane
- High Price of Racing
- 'Tiny House Nation' filming in Gainesville
- National Tire Safety Week Puts Pressure on Drivers to Be, "Tire Smart"
- Hopkins Prairie Fire
- National Honor Choir Student
- What's Happening in the Entertainment World 9/7/12