9 Suspected Illegal Immigrants Die in Texas Wreck
PALMVIEW, Texas (AP) - Police say at least nine suspected illegal immigrants have died and six more were injured when the van they were traveling in rolled over in a South Texas border town.
Palmview police Cmdr. Lenny Sanchez says is it not clear what caused the accident around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday on U.S. 83.
Sanchez says the van was carrying 19 people from Mexico and that he believes they were all in the U.S. illegally. He says two people who fled the wreck are in custody and two more are on the loose.
Police are trying to determine if the driver is among the dead.
Sanchez says three women have been treated and released to immigration authorities. Three men remain hospitalized Wednesday. Sanchez has no details on their conditions.
- Illegal Immigration Arrests
- Illegal Immigrant Smugglers Will Face Penalties
- Friends: Shooting Suspect Struggled After Dad Died
- Santa Fe Student Dies In Wreck On 301
- Rubio's Immigration Push a Potential Lift for GOP
- Key Vote on Immigration Set in Senate
- Reactions to President Obama's Immigration Order
- Federal judge stalls Obama's executive action on immigration
- Rubio to Speak Wednesday in Support of Immigration Bill