Craig Carter defeats Susan Bottcher 53-47%...Todd Chase wins easily...Annie Orlando & Helen Warren go to runoff
Jury Selection in Hudson Family Murder Trial
CHICAGO (AP) - A judge will question potential jurors as jury selection begins in earnest at the Chicago trial of a man accused of murdering the mother, brother and 7-year-old nephew of singer and Oscar-winning actress Jennifer Hudson.
Selecting 12 jurors able to set aside sympathy for the star in assessing William Balfour's guilt poses challenges.
After questioning starts today, it should take several days to make final picks from 150 prospective jurors. In a last step, each side will have around ten pre-emptive strikes to dismiss people from the jury pool without offering any reason.
If convicted, 30-year-old Balfour faces a maximum life sentence.
Judge Charles Burns told prospective jurors last week that anyone opposed to capital punishment need not worry because Illinois recently abolished the death penalty.
Testimony begins April 23.
- 9 Jurors Chosen for Hudson Family Murder Trial
- Jury Selection Continues In Murder Trial
- Jury Selection Begins on Murder Trial of Michelle Herndon
- Zimmerman Trial: Jury Selection Begins
- Zimmerman Trial: Day 2 of Jury Selection
- Zimmerman Trial: Day 3 of Jury Selection
- Zimmerman Trial: Day 4 of Jury Selection
- Jury Selection Begins In Sandusky Trial
- Zimmerman Trial Day 9: The Jury is Selected
- Jury Selection Continues in Ramgoolie Trial