Navy Jet Crashes Into Apartment Complex in Virginia
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (AP) - A local official says it appears two Navy pilots dumped fuel from a fighter jet before it crashed into a Virginia apartment complex, and that likely prevented the resulting fire from being far worse.
Bruce Nedelka is the Virginia Beach EMS division chief. He said Friday that witnesses saw fuel being dumped from the jet before it went down, and that fuel was found on buildings and vehicles in the area.
Nedelka says that maneuver likely prevented what could have been a massive fireball and fire.
Nedelka says the fire has been put out at the apartment complex, and crews are now going through to search for anyone who may have been inside.
Officials say at least three people were taken to hospitals, including the two pilots, who ejected before the crash.
- Officials: UPS Cargo Jet Crashes Killing 2
- 23-Year-Old Murdered at Ocala Apartment Complex
- Fire at Gardens Apartment Complex
- Apartment Complex-Drowning
- Shooting at Gainesville Apartment Complex Lands One Man Behind Bars
- Murder In Southern Pines Apartment Complex
- Woman Shot And Killed At Gainesville Apartment Complex
- Dryer Catches Fire in Alachua Apartment Complex
- Bedbugs taking over NE Gainesville Apartment Complex?
- Students Wait in Hotels as Apartment Complexes are Completed