Man Paid Millions For Eating Popcorn
DENVER, Colorado- A jury awarded a Colorado man millions of dollars after finding the snack food he ate every day for years eventually made him sick.
Wayne Watson admits he munched microwave popcorn a couple of times a day for years, until his doctor diagnosed him with a rare disease called popcorn lung.
It's usually found in plant workers exposed to high levels of an artificial flavoring used to give popcorn that buttery taste.
Watson sued the popcorn maker, Gilster-Mary Lee, and the supermarket that sold it claiming the companies never warned consumers that the flavoring was dangerous.
On Wednesday, Watson- who's lost about 50 percent of his lung capacity- was awarded damages of more than 7 million dollars.
Many popcorn manufacturers no longer use this flavoring in their microwave products.
- Man Held on Six Million Dollar Bond after Car Chase
- Man Accused of Rape in Downtown Gainesville Being Held on a Five Million Dollar Bond
- 33 Million Dollars Going to Veterans
- 57 Million Dollar Pet Hospital Opens in Gainesville
- North Florida Regional Medical Center Announces $58 Million Dollar Expansion Project
- Gainesville Housing Authority Faces Million Dollar Shortfall
- 2012 AC Budget Proposal Prompts Million Dollar Taxing Decision
- Ribbon Cut on $1 Million Dollar Renovation Project in East Gainesville
- Million Dollar Makeover Complete for 911 Dispatch Center
- Gainesville Bookstores Saving Students Millions of Dollars