Alabama Hostage Situation is Over
MIDLAND CITY, Ala. - An FBI spokesperson says a 5-year-old has been safely released after a weeklong standoff between police and the boy's abductor.
Officers on the scene reportedly witnessed suspect Jim Dykes with a gun Monday afternoon and stormed the bunker.
Dykes was killed, but it's unclear whether he was shot by officers or killed himself.
The child has Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and was taken to a local hospital to be checked out.
Dykes abducted the boy from a school bus after fatally shooting the bus driver.
- Small Ala. Town: Relief that Child Hostage is Safe
- Young Boy Held Hostage Celebrates Birthday
- Update on Alabama Hostage Standoff
- Hostage Situation
- FBI: Officers Stormed Bunker When Child In Danger
- Truck Driver Survives Precarious Situation
- Veterans Honored with Wreaths for the Holidays
- Santorum Wins Alabama & Mississippi
- GOP Rivals Split MS Christians, Santorum Edge in Alabama
- Gators Clinch 5th SEC Series with 9-2 Victory Over Alabama