Six Bodies Found in Lake Reopening 40-year-old Cold Cases
OKLAHOMA - Six bodies have been discovered at the bottom of a lake in Oklahoma by police as they were testing new sonar tools.
They made the discovery at Lake Foss near Elk City after dragging up a rusting 1950s Chevrolet and 1969 Camaro.
Inside the Camaro were the skeletons of three local teenagers who vanished after going out for a drive in 1970.
Inside the Chevrolet were three more bodies – thought to be a 69-year-old man and his two friends who went missing in the state in the late 1950s or early 1960s.
Jimmy Allen Williams 16, Thomas Michael Rios, 18, and Leah Gail Johnson, 18, all went missing on November 20, 1970, having gone for a drive in Williams' Camero.
The remains were turned over to the medical examiner's office who are expected to use DNA from surviving family members to identify the skeletons.
40 years later they are still listed as missing persons after, it is believed, they headed out to an American football game in nearby Elk City.
Betsy Randolph, spokesman for the Oklahoma Highway Patrol, said that when they pulled the second car out, another set of bones was discovered. The divers then went back in the water and searched around and found a skull.
Ms Randolph added: "We thought it was just going to be stolen vehicles and that's not what it turned out to be, obviously." Kim Carmichael, a friend of the 16-year-old victim Jimmy Williams said of the original case: "It was just like they vanished into thin air.
"We lived in a little town ... Nothing like that ever happened in Sayre." The medical examiner had called a number of relatives of possible victims to the scene, many of whom said that they never lost hope.
"We never gave up. We always wanted some clue that somebody knew someone," said Debbie McManaman, a possible victim's granddaughter.
- Body of 4-Year-Old Found
- Sheriff: Searchers recovered body of 2-year-old boy killed by an alligator at Walt Disney World
- 67-Year-Old Man Found Dead In Laundry Room
- Ten Year Old Girl's Body Found in Trash Can
- Body of 62-year-old man washes ashore
- 50-Year-Old Dunnellon Grandmother Found Shot To Death In Her Driveway
- A man has been charged in a 5 year old Gainesville cold case
- BODY FOUND IN LAKE CITY ***UPDATED***
- Police Officer's 3-year-old Child Drowns
- Bullied 12-year-old Girl Commits Suicide