Gator Gymnasts Advance!
The #1 University of Florida gymnastics team advances to the NCAA Super Six team final after posting its highest score ever, 197.40, in NCAA Championships competition.
For the first time this season, the Gators didn't finish or tie for the
top position in the team standings. Georgia won the NCAA Championships Session I Team Qualifier at 197.70, its third-highest team score of 2007. Florida's runner-up total of 197.40 is the highest ever in NCAA Championships' competition and the top road mark ever for the program.
Nebraska claimed the third and final NCAA Super Six berth at 196.625.
All three Gator all-arounders earned All-America honors Thursday, the only school to have each of its all-arounders in Session I to do so.
Freshman Amanda Castillo was second in the session's all-around with a collegiate-best total of 39.55, earning her a spot on the All-America first team.Â Sophomore Corey Hartung and Junior Ashley Reed tied for fifth in the session at 39.40 for a spot on the All-America second team.
Georgia's Courtney Kupets, the defending NCAA all-around champion,
claimed the top spot in the opening session at 39.75. She also was first on vault, bars and floor with identical marks of 9.95.
As one of the top three teams in the NCAA Championships' opening session of the team qualifying competition, Florida advances to the NCAA Super Six where the NCAA team champion is determined. Competition for the NCAA Super Six is set for Friday, April 27 at 9 p.m. (EDT).
Â Â Â This is the sixth NCAA Super Six appearance for the Gators (1994, 1997, 1998, 2004, 2006, and 2007). The highest NCAA finish for the Gators was second in the 1998 event held in Los Angeles, CA.
Now the Gators await the competition draw for Friday's Super Six, which will be conducted following Thursday's second team qualifying session.Â
- Gator Gymnastics Advances to Super Six
- Gator Gymnasts Advance to Super Six!
- Gator Gymnastics Team Advances to Super Six
- Gator Gymnastics Advance to NCAA Championships
- Former Gator Gator Gymnast Kerr Earns Post-Graduate Scholarship
- Gator Gymnasts Ready For Season to Begin
- #3 Gators Dominate #10 Nebraska in Season's First Gymnastics Meet
- Gators Stick Kentucky in Gymnastics, Remain Unbeaten on Season
- Gators End Home Gymnastics Season Beating Auburn 196.850 to 194.950
- Costly Mistake Nearly Costs Gators a Trip to NCAA Gymnastics Championships