Gator Gymnasts Finish Third in Super Six
The Georgia Gym Dogs proved they were the team to beat in the Super Six. No one else could surpass their 197.850 as the Gym Dogs notched the highest score of the finals to threepeat as NCAA Champions in women's gymnastics Friday nightÂ in Salt Lake City,Â Utah.
Tied with Utah in first place through two events, the Gym Dogs posted marks of 9.900 or better in nine of their last 11 routines to widen the lead and take the program's eighth national title and third in a row. No team has accomplished a threepeat in women's gymnastics since Utah won five straight in the 1980s.
Georgia's 197.850 was its second highest mark of the year and also the highest score any Gym Dogs team has posted in an NCAA Championship final since the 1993 team scored a 198.00. It is the fourth highest of any National Champion in the Super Six finals since current format was implemented in 1993.
Georgia's eight national titles as a program trail only Utah's nine. All of Georgia's 2007 Championship scores came from freshmen, sophomores and juniors with no seniors competing in the meet.
Following the Gym Dogs in the Super Six were host Utah (197.250), Florida (197.225), UCLA (196.925), Stanford (196.825) and Nebraska (195.975).
Georgia cemented the win with a season-high-tying 49.525 on vault in the final rotation, also tied for the highest score on that event for any team in the country in 2007. Georgia set that record in Thursday's NCAA prelims. The Gym Dogs completed their season with a final record of 31-2-1. Both of the losses came to teams Georgia beat in the Super Six on Friday in Florida and UCLA.
The Gym Dogs sat out the first rotation of competition while Florida and Stanford took a two-way lead on beam and vault, respectively, with a 49.225.
1. Georgia â€“ 197.850 (VT-49.525, UB-49.425, BB-49.325, FX-49.575)
2. Utah â€“ 197.250 (VT-49.375, UB-49.100, BB-49.400, FX-49.375)
3. Florida â€“ 197.225 (VT-49.400, UB-49.275, BB-49.225, FX-49.325)
4. UCLA â€“ 196.925 (VT-49.400, UB-49.100, BB-49.150, FX-49.275)
5. Stanford â€“ 196.825 (VT-49.225, UB-49.100, BB-49.250, FX-49.250) 6. Nebraska â€“ 195.975 (VT-49.325, UB-49.925, BB-48.825, FX-48.900)
- Gator Gymnasts Advance to Super Six!
- Gator Gymnastics Team Advances to Super Six
- Gator Gymnastics Make NCAA Super Six for 7th Time in 9 Years
- Gator Gymnastics Advances to Super Six
- Panteliodis Propels Gator Baseball To Third-Straight Super Regional
- Gator Gymnasts Finish Fourth Nationally
- Disappointing Finish for Gator Gymnastics
- Trinity Catholic Claims the Santa Fe Volleyball Preseason Tournament, Buchholz Finishes in Third
- Gymnastics Team Can See Finish Line
- SIX GATOR FOOTBALL PLAYERS EARN PRESEASON HONORS