Leak & 8 Others Sign as Free Agents
Just like in January when they won a national championship, Gators were the biggest winners in this weekend'sÂ NFL draft -- leading all other schools with nine players taken including two 1st-round picks -- Jarvis Moss and Reggie Nelson.
From there, many more now have new teams after signing free agent contracts including the national championship game m-v-p -- Chris Leak -- who's now a member of the chicago bears where he'll learn and play behind former Gator & Bears 1st-round pick Rex Grossman.
At slightly under 6-feet tall,Â Leak's size perhaps keeping him from being taken, but, often quarterbacks make more as free agents than as late draft picks & have the luxury of choosing the right fit for them.
Leak leftÂ UF as the school's all-time leader in passing yards.
Other former Gators signing free agent deals include linebacker Earl Everett with Cincinnati,Â wide receiver Jemalle Cornelius with Buffalo,Â fullback Billy Latsko with Carolina, defensive tackle Steven Harris with Denver, center Steve Rissler with Dallas, cornerback Reggie Lewis with Buffalo, and linebacker Brian Crum with Kansas city.Â Also, punter Eric Wilbur signs a free agent contract with the Houston Texans.
- Leak Signs With Team Florida of AAFL
- Lochte Anchors, Can't Hang On For Gold in 4x100m Free Relay; Other Olympic Results
- Florida to the Outback, FSU to the Chick-Fil-A, & Other Bowl Games
- Lake City's Tunsil Picks Ole Miss; Dozens of Other Locals Sign Football Scholarships
- Will Muschamp Discusses Chris Leak's Contributions As Quality Control Assistant
- Coach Muschamp RB & Safety Depth Chart. Expecting More From Freshman & Hoping Guys Still Have Fun
- Athletes Sign on First Day of Early Signing Period
- Local Area Athletes Sign on Dotted Line for National Signing Day
- Bradford Wins 1st Game of Christmas Tournament, Other Prep Scores
- Chiefland Beats Bronson In Spring Football Game, Plus Other Area Scores