Gator Softball Loses Super Regional Opener
The Florida Softball team (49-21) lost its first NCAA Super Regional game, 2-0, to Texas A&M (45-11) in College Station, Texas. The Aggies scored their two runs on seven hits, while the Gators tallied scattered three hits through the game. 1,045 fans were on hand to watch the game.
Texas A&M got on the board first in the bottom of the second inning. Jami Lobpries led off the inning with a base hit to right. She advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Alex Reynolds. A base hit to left by Macie Morrow put Aggie runners at first and third. Joy Davis found herself safe at first on a fielder?s choice play from second to home, but Lobpries avoided the tag to score the first run of the game.
The Aggies took a 2-0 lead on a home run by Megan Gibson in the bottom of the third. It was only the fourth home run Florida sophomore pitcher Stacey Nelson had given up all season.
Florida had its best chance to score in the sixth. Sophomore Kristina Hilberth led off the Gator half of the inning with a base hit slapped up the middle. Senior Shelley Stevens came in to pinch run for her. Sophomore Kim Waleszonia drove an 0-2 count down the left side to put two Gator runners on for the first time in the game. A sacrifice bunt by senior Lauren Roussell put both runners in scoring position at second and third. Senior Melissa Zick walked on four straight balls from Scarborough to load the bases. Sophomore Ali Gardiner was safe on a fielder's choice, but Stevens was thrown out at home for the second out of the inning. The inning ended with bases loaded as Scarborough struck out the final batter of the inning to end the Gator threat.
Scarborough improved to 25-7 on the season as she struck out eight Gators in the win. Nelson moved to 33-14.
There was a 17 minute rain delay with one strike on Florida's leadoff batter in the top of the second.
The two teams will face off again at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday. Should Florida win that game, a second game will follow 30 minutes after the first to decide the Super Regional champion. Both games will air live on ESPN.
- Tim Walton Kicks 3 Gator Softball Players Off Team, Gators Lose Regional Opener
- Gators Defeat UCF, Advance to Super Regionals
- Gator Baseball Prepares for Super Regionals Against Florida State
- GATOR SOFTBALL ADVANCES TO SUPER REGIONAL
- Gator Softball Advances to Super Regional
- Gator Softball Advances to Fifth-Straight Super Regional
- Stewart Steals Home as Gator Softball Advances to Super Regionals
- Gator Softball Ends Losing Streak, Downs Auburn
- Gator Softball Loses Heartbreaker Versus Georgia
- Gator Women's Hoops Loses, Softball Wins