Speights Joins 76ers!
Former University of Florida forward/center Marreese Speights was selected in the first round of the NBA Draft by the
Philadelphia 76ers, using the 16th overall pick. Speights became the
10th Gator to become a first round NBA pick, the eighth under head coach
Billy Donovan. Speights is the first Gator ever drafted by Philadelphia, while his
selection at No. 16 is the seventh-highest pick in school history.
Florida has now had five first round draft picks since 2005, the most of
any SEC school, and has had at least one player drafted five of the past
six years. The Gators have had four first round picks in the last two
Speights finished second on UF in scoring during his sophomore season,
averaging 14.5 points per game. He led the Gators in rebounding with 8.1
rebounds per contest, as well team-highs of 49 blocked shots and 10
He scored 16 points and grabbed a career-high 18 rebounds against
Massachusetts in the semifinals of the MasterCard NIT in what would be
the final game of his career. In his two-year career, Speights averaged
9.5 points, 5.4 rebounds and blocked 64 shots.
- Speights Dominates in High Point Win!
- SPEIGHTS STILL WAFFLING
- SPEIGHTS GOING PRO
- Speights Works Out for 76ers
- SPEIGHTS TO SKIP PRE-DRAFT CAMP
- Speights Entering NBA Draft
- Former Gator Speights Talks Local Charity, NBA With Reporters
- Reports: Corey Brewer Back to the Timberwolves; Speights to Warriors
- CALDWELL JOINS BROTHER IN NFL
- JOHN BROWN MAY BE READY TO JOIN UF