Gator Hoops Crowns Royals
Dan Werner scored a team-high 17 points, Alex Tyus added 16 points and 14 rebounds, and No. 19 Florida beat Warner 108-49 on Monday night in the first of the Gators two exhibition games.
The Gators, trying to rebuild after missing the NCAA tournament for the first time in a decade, were considerably bigger than the Royals. Werner and Tyus took advantage, as well as Chandler Parsons, who added 14 points, six rebounds and six assists.
Tyus, trying to fill the void of first-round NBA draft pick Marreese Speights, was 6-of-8 from the field and 4-for-4 from the free throw line.
The Gators finished 24-12 last season and reached the semifinals of the NIT. They return four starters - all except Speights - and have considerably more depth with the addition of five freshmen.
Erving Walker had 13 points and six assists in his debut for Florida, while Ray Shipman added 10 points, Allan Chaney eight and Kenny Kadji had six points and nine rebounds.
Florida plays Rollins on Thursday in the final exhibition game, then opens the season Nov. 14 against Toledo.
- Gator Hoops Dominates Bulldogs on the Road
- Gator Women's Hoops Top Hatters
- Gator Men's Hoops Tops Hatters
- Gator Hoops Schedule & TV Schedule Set
- Pre-Season Honors for Gator Women's Hoops
- Gator Hoops Down on Bayou
- Gator Hoops Cages St. Leo Lions
- Gator Hoops Avoids Rattlers Venom
- Gator Women's Hoops Falls to Still-Perfect Bulldogs
- Gator Men's Hoops Turns Tide on Road