Top Seed Connecticut Ends Gators Season
Renee Montgomery scored 25 points in her final game at home and undefeated Connecticut beat eighth-seeded Florida 87-59 in the second round of the NCAA tournament on Tuesday night. The Huskies (35-0) advanced to the regional semifinals for the 16th straight season where they will play fourth-seeded California on Sunday. This is the fourth time that UConn has been undefeated while playing in the NCAA tournament. Connecticut went on to win the national championship in 1995 and 2002. In 1996-97, the Huskies lost to Tennessee in the regional final.
Tina Charles followed up her 32-point effort in the first round with 22 against Florida. She also had 10 rebounds for her 11th double-double this season. Maya Moore added 22 points and 14 rebounds for her 16th double-double of the season.
Marshae Dotson scored 22 to lead Florida (24-8). Sha Brooks didn't get her first basket until hitting a 3-pointer early in the second half and the Gators down 25 points. She finished with eight - well under her 16.7 average - before fouling out.
The Gators advanced to the second round with a 70-57 win over Temple. That victory helped Florida match the school record for victories in a season.
- Gator Softball Heads for Conference Tournament as Top Seed
- Gator Softball Team Earns Top Overall NCAA Tournament Seed
- Top-Seed Jinx? Gator Baseball Hopes Not
- We're Number One! Gator Lacrosse Top Seed in NCAA Tournament
- Gator Baseball Loses Regular Season Finale To Auburn, Earns #3 Seed at SEC Championships
- Gators Magical Season Comes to and End, Fall in Final Four
- Gator Baseball Falls to UNC, Season Comes to an End
- Gator Baseball Season Ends With Loss to Southern Miss
- Gator Women's Basketball Season Ends In 2nd Round NIT Loss
- Gators Basketball Season Ends with 74-71 OT Loss to Butler