Gators Throw Away Game One in CWS Championship Series, Fall to Gamecocks 2-1
The College World Series Finals is a place the Gator baseball team has not been since 2005. This time, it's against Southeastern Conference foe South Carolina. In Game One of the Championship Series, it was a pitching battle between the Gamecock's Forrest Koumas and Florida's Hudson Randall. Randall pitched a strong seven and two-thirds innings, with three hits allowed, and six strikeouts.
The Gators opened up the scoring in the bottom of the third when Tyler Thompson crossed the plate. Third baseman Cody Dent hit a sacrifice fly to left, scoring Thompson from third. Then South Carolina started its scoring in the top of the eighth. Gamecock's Scott Wingo got a single off of Hudson Randall, scoring Peter Mooney to tie the ballgame at 1-1.
The Gators had chances to take the victory in the bottom of the ninth with the bases loaded and nobody out. But South Carolina got superb defensive plays from Wingo, robbing Thompson of a base-hit, and then turned the inning-ending double play off of Daniel Pigott's bat. That was the turning point in the game and when things went sour for the Orange and Blue.
South Carolina took the lead for the first time in extra innings when Christian Walker advanced on two Gator throwing errors, giving the Gamecocks a 2-1 lead in the top of the 11th. Mike Zunino overthrew Josh Adams at second, then Bryson Smith threw a funny hopper that Cody Dent could not handle. The score would stand, and now the Gators face a 1-0 hole in the Championship Series.
Florida looks to bounce back Tuesday in Game Two of the best-of-three series.
- Gator Baseball Falls Short, Gamecocks Win Back-to-Back CWS Championships
- Gators Fall to Gamecocks 7-3, Face Uphill Climb in CWS
- Gator Baseball Throws Away 7-6 Game Against Ole Miss
- Gator Softball One Step Away from World Series!
- Gator Baseball Back On Track With 2-1 Victory Over Gamecocks
- Gator Basketball Falls in SEC Tournament Championship Game
- Huskies Dominate Gators in Game One of World Series
- Gators and Commodores Suspended In Game One of Weekend Series
- Gator Baseball Takes Game One in Series Over UConn
- Gator Baseball Gets Fifth Straight SEC Series, 8-1 Winners Over Rebels