Omaha Bound! Gators Win 8-6 Over Bulldogs, Going Back to CWS
In a game that had ups, downs, and every emotion in between, the Florida Gators prevailed in a physical and emotional slugfest against Mississippi State, defeating the Bulldogs 8-6 and punching their ticket back to Omaha for a seventh trip to the College World Series. The Gators raced out to a 4-0 lead after home runs by Mike Zunino, Daniel Pigott, and Vickash Ramjit, but the Bulldogs came right back in the fourth inning with a three-run blast by Saturday hero Nick Vickerson to cut the lead 4-3. Then in the seventh, Vickerson delivered an RBI single to tie the game, and Mississippi State would take the lead on a two-RBI base hit by Brent Brownlee. But down 6-4 in the bottom of the seventh, Bryson Smith and Nolan Fontana drew walks. After Mike Zunino moved them over on a sacrifice bunt, Preston Tucker got his second hit of the afternoon with a three-run shot to give Florida the lead back 7-6. Daniel Pigott connected on his second homer of the day in the eighth for the insurance run, and Tommy Toledo closed it out for the win. The five home runs were a season-best, and were the only offense generated by the Florida Gators. The Gators will face Texas in the first round of the College World Series.
- Omaha Bound! Gators Survive Extra Inning Thriller, Beat NC State 9-8
- Gator Baseball Falls Short, Gamecocks Win Back-to-Back CWS Championships
- Gators Big Apple Bound!
- Gator Bowl Bound! Florida vs Ohio State in "Urban Meyer" Bowl, DT Easley Out After ACL Surgery
- Gators Win Wild Ride Over Vandy, Heading To CWS Final
- GATOR SOFTBALL BOUND FOR CWS
- Burleigh Reaches 400 Wins, Gator Soccer Cruises to NCAA Tourney Victory; Gator Volleyball Back on Track with Three-Set Sweep Over Missouri
- Gator Baseball Swings Back with Dominating Win Over Florida A&M
- Gator Baseball Back on Track with 8-1 Win Over Tennessee
- McQuay, Claye London Bound! Demps Falls Short at USA Olympic Trials