More Mayo! Lafayette Wins 1A State Softball Championship
The Lafayette Hornets are having one of the best athletic calendar years the school has seen in quite some time, especially from the ladies. After claiming their first-ever volleyball state championship in November, the girls followed it up with the school's first softball state title, beating Jay 12-9 in the 1A State Championship in Clermont, Florida.
The game itself was a roller coaster of runs, with Lafayette grabbing a quick 3-0 lead after Lindsay O'Steen hit a two-RBI single to center and scored later in the inning on a fielders choice. But the Royals answered right back, scoring three runs of their own in the bottom frame. The Hornets led by as many as five in the fourth and fifth innings, but Jay rallied again to erase the 9-4 deficit and tie the game heading into the sixth. Lafayette brushed off the momentum swing by plating three more in the top of the sixth, capped by Sydney Show's two-RBI single. Stacy McLelland got the final six outs for the save, and cued the celebration.
This is the second Lafayette state championship in the under sixth months. Prior to this season, Mayo had seen a 30-year drought without a state title.
- Extra Mayo! Lafayette Wins 1A Volleyball State Championship!
- Lafayette Falls, Williston Advances to Class 1A Championship
- Gator Softball Advances to SEC Tournament Championship with 2-1 Win Over Tennessee
- PK Yonge Advances to Softball State Championship
- Lafayette Beats Bell In North Central Florida Softball Showdown
- Lafayette Softball Advances to State Semi-Finals
- Lafayette Softball Advances to State Final, Suwannee Falls
- Lafayette Falls in 1A State Title Softball Game
- South Sumter Gets Best of Dunnellon 26-13, Lafayette Rolls to 49-27 Win Over Sneads
- Trenton Gets Big Win Over Lafayette in 1A Regional Semis 49-13