Lochte Beats Phelps, Gets Gold; Other Olympic Results Day 1
LONDON, England - Two of the iconic American swimmers, eight-time Beijing gold medalist Michael Phelps and former Florida Gator Ryan Lochte, met in the 400-meter individual medley.
Lochte dominated the competition and brought Team USA their first gold, with his time of 4 minutes and 5.18 seconds.
Phelps, however, finished just out of medal contention in fourth place, the first time he failed to earn a medal since the Australia 2000 Olympics.
In the women's 400-meter individual medley, another Gator was in the running for the gold medal.
Elizabeth Beisel was on pace, but finished with silver medal at a time of 4 minutes and 31.27 seconds.
There were more Gators in medal contention in the men's 400 meter freestyle.
Gator swim club member Peter Vanderkaay finished third for bronze, knocking out former Gator Conor Dwyer in the process, who finished fifth in the finals.
And in US women's soccer, Abby Wambach took a shot in her right eye and then took revenge in the 74th minute with her 140th goal in international play against Colombia.
USA went on to beat Colombia 3-0, advancing to the Olympic quarterfinals.
- Lochte, Phelps Prepare for Final Meeting; Other Olympic Results and Notes
- Lochte Anchors, Can't Hang On For Gold in 4x100m Free Relay; Other Olympic Results
- Lochte, Phelps Among Stars in Omaha for US Olympic Swim Trials
- Former Gators Lochte and Spofforth Fall Short on Day Four of Olympics
- Lochte vs. Phelps Round 1 On Saturday
- Ryan Lochte Wins Gold at World Championships
- Lochte Wins Gold & Bronze
- Lochte Takes Silver, Bronze to Close Out His 2012 Olympics
- Garnet Beats Gold 35-20 in FSU Football Spring Game
- Kytra Hunter NCAA Vault Champion, Other Gator Results