Lafayette Repeats as 1A Volleyball Champs! St. Francis Also Advances to First-Ever Final in School History
KISSIMMEE, Fla. - The Lafayette Hornets had only dropped one set all season, but it never happened where it mattered most.
The defending 1A volleyball champs cruised through the state volleyball tournament in straight-set fashion, including Friday's three-set victory over Liberty County in the finals (25-8, 25-19, 25-23).
The Hornets were led by Lindsay O'Steen with 17 kills.
Teammate Kaleigh Law added a double-double with 27 assists and 10 digs in the championship match.
The win marks the school's third state championship trophy in the past two years (volleyball and softball).
St. Francis made program history in its first-ever state semifinal apperance in volleyball.
The Wolves ralled for a five-set victory over Clearwater Central Catholic in the Class 3A State Semifinal (25-23, 25-19 23-25, 21-25, 15-10).
Allison Benton led the way with 27 kills.
St. Francis will play for the school's first-ever championship in any sport on Saturday at noon against First Academy.
- Newberry Girls Basketball Advances to First-Ever State Title Game, Beat Hilliard 49-45
- Gator Baseball Shuts Down UM 5-3, Program's First-Ever Series Sweep of Canes in Gainesville
- UF Walk-On Beemer Beaming After First-Ever Touchdown
- Gainesville Getting First-Ever Senior Citizens Center
- National Champs! Gator Men's Track and Field Team Captures First NCAA Outdoor Title
- High School Volleyball: St. Francis at Oak Hall
- High School Volleyball: Cornerstone vs. St. Francis
- Santa Fe College Holds First Volleyball Practice in School History
- Lafayette Softball Advances to State Final, Suwannee Falls
- Lafayette Softball Advances to State Semi-Finals