Ryan Lochte Pulls Off Historic Day at World Championships
Barcelona, Spain- Ryan Lochte pulled off one the most impressive days in swimming history by emerging from the sixth day of competition at the 15th FINA World Championships with the fastest swims in all three events he entered. Lochte seized the gold medal in the 200-meter backstroke, finished first in the 100 butterfly semi-finals and topped it all off with a gold medal performance in the 4X200 freestyle relay.
Lochte, now ranking 2nd all-time with 15 World Championship titles and 23 total World Championship medals, started his morning slow with a 13th place 100 fly prelim swim (52.56). Rather than a sign of things to come, Lochte showed that his experience and focus heading into a tasking triple would be his greatest ally.
With his first event the 200 back slated for 1:09 p.m., Lochte never trailed and came home with a mark of 1:53.79 for his 14th career gold. Fifty-five minutes later, Lochte re-entered the pool and touched first in the second heat of the 100 fly out lane one, giving him the fastest semi-final swim of the round (51.48). He will be seeded first in tomorrow's final.
Following a pair of dominating swims by Lochte, the 4x200 free relay group of Conor Dwyer, Lochte, Charles Gipson Houchin and Ricky Berens headed to the water at 2:41 p.m. Dwyer started things off by keeping pace with France's Yannick Angle and Russia's Danila Izotov and touched with a split of 1:45.76. Lochte, the second leg of the relay, jumped in with the Americans in third, and stepped out with the lead. The Americans never looked back and picked up the gold medal in a time of 7:01.72. The gold medal represented Dwyer's second medal of the meet after a silver medal finish in the 200 free.
- Ryan Lochte Wins Gold at World Championships
- Lochte Seizes Spotlight at World Championships
- Former Gators Lochte and Spofforth Fall Short on Day Four of Olympics
- Lochte Beats Phelps, Gets Gold; Other Olympic Results Day 1
- State Volleyball Championships Start off With Several Wins for North Central Florida
- Babe Ruth Softball State Championship Tournament: Championship Day
- Gators Track and Field On the Board On Day 2 of NCAA Championships
- Hole 17 Helps Some, Hurts Others On Day 1 of The Players Championship
- Babe Ruth Softball State Championship Tournament: Day 4
- OL' BALL COACH KICKS OFF MEDIA DAYS