Santa Fe College Hoops Fall to Indian River
Gainesville, FL – Indian River sophomores David Johnson and Isaac Torres combined for 40 points on Saturday afternoon against Santa Fe (10-3) during the first game of the Florida Colleges Shootout to lead the Pioneers to an 80-69 victory. The loss is the third in a row for SF after a 10-0 start.
“Indian River played very well,” said SF Coach Chris Mowry. “We had a tough time guarding Torres and Johnson, especially at the perimeter.”
The Pioneers (6-2) stretched a 36-35 halftime advantage to double digits late in the game and never let SF get it closer than eight down the stretch.
Indian River did much of their damage from behind the three point line, connecting on 10-of-23. The Saints were just 3-of-14 but played efficiently inside the arc, making 58% of their two point shots.
“Our interior post players did a nice job getting open and finishing,” said Mowry. “We forced a few too many outside shots. We need to work a little harder on getting better looks every possession.”
Along with the three point shot, free throws were a big factor in the Pioneer victory. They finished 16-of-24 after starting 0-of-4, whereas the Saints were just 4-of-5 for the game.
Shea Jones led Santa Fe with 13 points and two steals, Reggie Hart chipped in 12 points and Jon hood had 10. Davis Johnson led all scorers with 24.
The Saints will continue in the Florida Colleges Shootout on Sunday, December 15 at home against Eastern Florida State College at 7:00 PM.
- Santa Fe College Hoops: Men and Women Fall on Saturday
- Santa Fe College Women Hoops Fall to Tallahassee CC
- Santa Fe College Men's Hoops Wins, Women Fall Wednesday Night
- Gainesville's Kyliee Carney Signs to Indian River State College
- Santa Fe College Improves to 17-3 with Win vs St. Johns River
- Santa Fe Beats Crystal River 32-29, Columbia County Home Winners Too, Oak Hall and St Francis Fall
- Santa Fe College Men Fall to State College of Florida
- Santa Fe College Falls to State College of Florida
- Santa Fe College Men and Women Hoops Win on Wednesday
- Santa Fe College Hoops Downs East Florida State