Karsten Whitson Signs with Red Sox
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Right-hander Karsten Whitson became the fourth member of the 2014 Gator baseball team to sign a professional contract when he came to terms with the Boston Red Sox. He had been chosen in the 11th round with the 344th overall pick and will forgo his final year of eligibility at the University of Florida. He has been assigned to the Lowell Spinners of the Class A Short-Season New York-Penn League.
Whitson was 1-1 with a 3.86 ERA in 2014, with 14 appearances, nine starts and 21 strikeouts in 37.1 innings for the SEC Champion Gators. He earned a spot on the SEC All-Tournament Team after hurling six scoreless innings against No. 8 LSU in the final held in Hoover, Ala.
As a sophomore in ’12, he appeared in 14 games, with 10 starts, and was 4-0 with a 3.51 ERA. He collected the victory in game two of the NCAA Gainesville Super Regional against No. 11 NC State that sent the Gators to the College World Series for the third-straight year for the first time in school history.
In 2011, the Chipley, Fla., native was chosen as the National Freshman Pitcher of the Year by Perfect Game and was named to the organization’s Freshman All-American team as the Gators finished as the national runner-up. He also earned Freshman All-American recognition from Baseball America, Louisville Slugger and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA). A member of the SEC’s All-Freshman Team, Whitson held a permanent spot in the Gators’ weekend rotation and finished 8-1 with a 2.40 ERA. He tied for the top spot on the club with 19 starts, led the squad with 92 strikeouts in 97.1 innings and limited opponents to a .235 batting average.
Over his career wearing the Orange and Blue, Whitson appeared in 47 games, with 38 starts, and was 13-2 (.867) with a 2.95 ERA. In 168 innings, he registered 133 strikeouts.
- Karsten Whitson Out For Gators Baseball
- Jeff Driskel Signs with Red Sox; Will Continue Playing Football
- Future, Current Gators Drafted on Day Two of MLB Draft
- Four More Gators Drafted in MLB Draft
- Greg Larson Final Gator Selected in MLB Draft, Other Notable Mentions
- Florida's Crawford, Gators Commit Danish Selected in 1st 2 Rounds of MLB Draft
- Four Gators Selected Over Final Two Days of MLB Draft
- Many Gators Taken on Day 2 of MLB Draft
- Karsten Whitson Out for Season
- Johnson Perfect Through Five, Gator Baseball Beats Boston College