Four Derby Hopefuls Have Ties to Marion County
Published April 30th, 2014
The 140th running of the Kentucky Derby is just days away and those who have a stake in this race from Ocala are gearing up for what will likely be a competitive run.
The previous owners of "Dance with Fate" and "Chitu" say they are excited to see their horses race.
Other contenders in the Derby from Ocala are "Commanding Curve" and "Wildcat Red."
A filly called "Fashion Plate" is running in Friday's Kentucky Oaks race at Churchill Downs.
Winning the Derby would have a special meaning for breeders and former owners.
"We just celebrated 29 years together yesterday, my husband and I. So, this would be nice to tell everybody we got the Derby for our 29th anniversary," said Lori Fackler, breeder of "Dance with Fate."
"We feel very blessed to have had him in the barn. And just to be apart of it. Just to be apart of it is really great," said Greg and Karen Dodd, past owners of Chitu.
"Dance with Fate" was sold at Ocala Breeders Sales in April of last year for $120,000.
Chitu was sold to legendary trainer Bob Baffert for $300,000.
The race will be broadcasted on Saturday on NBC.
- Four Cases of Meningitis in Florida... All in Marion County
- County commission gives nugget of hope on chicken farm
- Goldencents: Kentucky Derby Horse with Ties to North Central Florida
- Two Horses With North Central Florida Ties Lead Kentucky Derby Contenders
- Alachua County School Board Officials Hope To Have Standardized Tests Delayed
- Marion County Car Chase
- High speed chase through Marion County
- Marion County DUI Chase
- I'll Have Another Wins 138th Kentucky Derby
- Horse Found Burned in a Marion County Farm