U.S. 301 in Hawthorne Closing for a Week
A major north central Florida highway is getting a makeover, but for now, that means it must close.
The railroad crossing on U.S. Highway 301 south of Hawthorne road is closing tomorrow morning for an entire week, depending on the weather.
Passenger vehicles will be able to use County Road 325 in Island Grove and Hawthorne Road back to U.S. 301, a 17-mile detour.
Semi-trucks traveling northbound will use U.S. 441 north of Ocala, State Road 331 on the east side of Gainesville and State Road 24 to U.S. 301 in Waldo.
Trucks traveling southbound will exit 301 at State Road 24 in Waldo, travel south on State Road 331 then south on U.S. 441 and back to U.S. 301 north of Ocala.
Law enforcement will assist all road closures and detours.
The rail crossing needs to be replaced, according to the Florida Department of Transportation.
The existing crossing, owned by CSX Transportation Incorporated, is being replaced with a new concrete crossing designed to last longer under heavy traffic.
- U.S. 301 closure causes frustration
- Deadly Crash on US 301 in Hawthorne
- Hawthorne GP Plant Closing Could "Idle" the Economy
- Closing of Sharpes Ferry Bridge Affects Residents
- Santa Fe Student Dies In Wreck On 301
- Life After a US 301 Bypass
- Woman Killed in Crash on US 301
- FAA Delays Closing of Airport Control Towers
- Dig Site for Tiffany Sessions is Closed
- Air Force Drone Crash Closes Remote Fla. Highway