Child's Body Found in Live Oak
Published August 15th, 2014
The search for missing nine year old Leo Walker is apparently over. The live oak police department found the remains of a child this morning.
"I was so used to seeing him, and you know, he was doing his little hands and just walking down the road," says Live Oak Resident Peggy Brown.
That Tuesday afternoon was the last time she saw 9 year old Leo Walker. He went missing early the following morning. Around noon, police confirmed they found the body of a child close to where a lake was drained yesterday in the search for Leo. Live Oak Police Chief Buddy Williams said in a press conference, "Law enforcement officers have discovered the body of a young man. We cannot confirm if it is the body of Leo Walker."
Police have called off the volunteer search effort. Nearby residents say they are shocked something like this could happen so close to home.
"There's a lot of kids in this area, and I know parents should be fearful and try to keep an eye on their child," says another resident of Live Oak. Peggy Brown says she can't sleep because she can't stop thinking that Leo is gone.
She said, "You know how you see an old person standing at the store, you pass by him all the time and he's always in his stroller adn his brother's always pushing him and he wears a backpack and sometimes he waves and sometimes he's just looking around and taking it all in."
Brown says besides the tragedy, she's thankful the community has come together to help look for Leo.
Law enforcement officials have still not confirmed that the body found is Leo Walker.
- Amber Alert Ends in Jacksonville as Child's Body is Found
- Child's Body Found in Trunk
- Local 'Miracle Child' visits Washington, Disney World as CMN Champion
- What's private and what's public in your child's school?
- Is Your Child's Car Booster Seat Safe?
- Mom Steals From Child's School
- Child's Wish Fulfilled In Motorcycle Parade
- Child's Death Ruled Accidental Drowning
- Roland Indicted For Child's Death
- Parents Reminded to Check Child's Safety Seat