FHP Investigates School Bus Crash in Bradford County
Published September 30th, 2014
BRADFORD COUNTY--- Investigators are trying to answer many questions in the aftermath of the truck- schoolbus collision that sent nine people to the hospital on Monday.
Was the driver distracted at the time of the crash? And was his truck actually safe to drive? According to eyewitnesses, Shannon Ford never hit the brakes before he slammed into the back of the Bradford County school bus. Earlier Monday...A state trooper pulled Ford over in Nassau County after getting calls that he was driving recklessly.
While it's still early in the FHP investigation, the Bradford County Sheriff says it seems clear the trucker was driving recklessly. Sheriff Gordon Smith says, "It's individuals like this that, that put a black eye, per se, on the trucking company, it's because of his actions that we are at the point we are today."
FHP troopers are looking into toxicology reports from the driver...Surveillance footage from the bus...And the conditions of the semi truck to figure out what exactly happened. FHP troopers say Ford's wife was also in the truck and partially undressed. The seven Starke Elementary School students and two adults are recovering from injuries sustained in the crash.
- Starke Elementary School Relocated
- School Year Resumes With Changes For Starke Elementary School
- Bradford bus crash
- Driver arrested in school bus crash
- School district investigation closed in school bus assault
- Train Hits Woman in Starke
- Starke Elementary Back Open After 6 Months
- City of Starke Election Results
- Starke Elementary Closed After Air Tests Show High Levels of Mold
- 12 Students Hurt in Putnam County School Bus Crash