Criminal Charges to be Filed Against Zimmerman
WASHINGTON (AP) - Law enforcement officials say state attorney will announce criminal charges against George Zimmerman at a press conference at 6pm on Wednesday.
Trayvon Martin's parents renewed their calls for calm as a special prosecutor in Florida neared a decision on whether to charge neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in Martin's death.
Martin's mother Sybrina Fulton says she knows "justice will be served" in her son's death. Zimmerman was not jailed or charged and has said he shot Martin in self-defense.
Attorney Benjamin Crump said the family wants communities nationwide to remain calm in response to the prosecutor's decision. "We don't need anybody taking these matters into their own hands," Crump said.
Fulton and Trayvon's father Tracy Martin spoke at a news conference in Washington, where Attorney General Eric Holder said earlier that he would take appropriate action if evidence of a civil rights crime is found in the shooting.
- No Charges Filed Against Bus Driver in Teen Fight
- No charges filed in Zedalis criminal investigation
- Zimmerman Trial: Protesters Rally Against Verdict
- Woman Files Lawsuit Against Pharmacy Linked to Meningitis Outbreak
- Zimmerman Trial: Judge Reads Charge to Jurors
- Hampton City Leaders Dispute State Audit, as Sheriff Considers Criminal Charges
- Additional Charges May Be Filed Against SWAT Standoff Suspect
- A Federal Gun Charge Could Be Filed Against SWAT Standoff Suspect
- Formal Charges Filed Against Hampton Mayor
- No Charges Filed Against Former Waldo Police Chief