Attempted Cat Rescue
DEBARY, Fla. (AP) - Fire officials say a central Florida woman is in critical condition after running back into her burning home to rescue her cat.
Orlando television station WESH reports the woman called 911 to report the fire around 2 a.m. Thursday. Then, she went back inside to find her cat.
Firefighters say they found the woman on unconscious on the floor near the front door. She was taken to the hospital, suffering from smoke inhalation. The cat did not survive the blaze.
Authorities say the house was engulfed in flames when Volusia County firefighters arrived. The television station reports one fireman had to be treated at the scene for exhaustion.
Investigators are trying to determine what caused the fire.
- Man's Life Saved by his Pet Cat
- Ex-Tarzan Actor Arrested; Big Cats Taken from Home
- Hundreds of Cats Removed from Sanctuary
- Attempted Murder Suspect Shot by Police
- Haitians in Custody after Failed Smuggling Attempt
- Suspect In Disappearance Attempts Suicide
- Florida Search and Rescue Team Prepares to Aid in Hurricane Relief
- Coast Guard Crew Rescues Men Stranded at Sea for Eight Days
- Gainesville Pet Finder Reunites Cat with Owner
- 517 Cats Rescued From Sanctuary in North Central Florida