Babies Addicted to Drugs
The youngest victims of Florida's pill problem are in the spotlight at the state capitol.
Tuesday afternoon Federal Drug Czar Gil Kerlikowske joined Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi to discuss how to stop the rising number of babies being born addicted to prescription pain killers.
In 2010 nearly 14 hundred babies were born with drug addictions in Florida, up 40 percent from the previous year.
Attorney General Bondi says that has to change.
Yesterday was the first meeting of the Florida Prescription Drug Abuse and Newborns Task Force.
The group was impanelled earlier this year after Bondi discovered a high number of babies in the Tampa Bay area were addicted to prescription drugs.
- Woman Sells Her Baby for a Truck
- Father Abandons Baby at Strip Club
- Baby Born on Florida Highway
- Outlawing Synthetic Drugs
- Florida Lawmaker Proposes Drug Tests for Politicians
- Teen Burn Victim, Arrested on Drug Charges
- Drug Bust off Miami Coast
- Drug Bust in Citrus County
- Double Arm Amputee Triathlete Raising Money for Baby
- Florida dad arrested after baby dies in hot car