Babies Addicted to Drugs
The youngest victims of Florida's pill problem are in the spotlight at the state capitol.
Tuesday afternoon Federal Drug Czar Gil Kerlikowske joined Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi to discuss how to stop the rising number of babies being born addicted to prescription pain killers.
In 2010 nearly 14 hundred babies were born with drug addictions in Florida, up 40 percent from the previous year.
Attorney General Bondi says that has to change.
Yesterday was the first meeting of the Florida Prescription Drug Abuse and Newborns Task Force.
The group was impanelled earlier this year after Bondi discovered a high number of babies in the Tampa Bay area were addicted to prescription drugs.
- Woman Sells Her Baby for a Truck
- Baby Born on Florida Highway
- Father Abandons Baby at Strip Club
- Outlawing Synthetic Drugs
- Drug Bust off Miami Coast
- Teen Burn Victim, Arrested on Drug Charges
- Double Arm Amputee Triathlete Raising Money for Baby
- 14-Pound Baby Born to Keystone Heights Couple At UF Health Shands
- Baby Dies of Head Injuries; Man Arrested
- Mom Arrested After "Joke" Pic of Baby Found