Man Faces 15 Years For Stepson's Fatal Beating
BARTOW, Fla. - A central Florida man faces up to 15 years in prison for beating his toddler stepson to death.
As part of a deal with Polk County prosecutors, 31-year-old Marcus Brown pleaded no contest to manslaughter Thursday.
Reports say that he was previously tried for first-degree murder, but jurors couldn't reach a verdict. A new trial had been scheduled to begin this month.
Authorities say Brown repeatedly beat 2-year-old Deondray Ashe with a belt during potty training. Rescue workers responded to the Lakeland home in June 2010 and found the boy dead.
The boy's mother, Ina Brown, was sentenced to 10 years in prison last spring for failing to protect the boy. She acknowledged that she had hit the boy in the past but not the day he died.
- Bartow Man Gets Life in Prison for Burning Father
- Fla. Man Accused of Abuse After Young Son Found Dead
- Tampa Man Accused of Abusing, Killing 3-year-old
- Man Accused of Sexually Abusing 3 Year Old
- Two Arrested For Beating 83 Year Old Man
- Gainesville Woman Could Face 20 Years in Prison if Convicted of Medicaid Fraud
- Naked Homeless Man Chews Off Another Man's Face
- 67-Year-Old Man Found Dead In Laundry Room
- Atlanta Man Faces Life In Prison
- Former UF Student Sentenced to Seven Years in Prison for Deadly Hit-and-Run