Crushed by Train
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say a homeless woman has died after crawling underneath a stopped train to avoid walking around it when it suddenly began moving again.
Hillsborough County Sheriff's officials said the victim and her boyfriend didn't want to walk several thousand feet around the stopped train Friday night so they decided to duck under it.
The boyfriend went first and was unharmed. When the victim crawled under the train, it began moving forward.
Authorities said she was struck by a wheel and died at the scene. She has not been identified.
Train officials confirmed the boyfriend's account saying they had stopped momentarily to activate a manual switch. The train continued on for several miles as operators did not know someone had been killed.
The investigation continues.
- New Baseball Spring Training Initiative
- Worker Crushed By Elevator
- Train and Tractor-Trailer Collision in Plant City
- Train Crashes
- Panhandle Man Sleeping on Tracks Killed by Train
- Driver Killed in Collision with Train
- 50th Annual Fine Arts Festival in Cedar Key This Weekend
- 62nd Florida Folk Festival This Weekend
- Hundreds of Soldiers Training in Ocala
- CPR Training in Florida High Schools