Tampa Man Fatally Shot While On Phone With 911
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) - Authorities in Hillsborough County are investigating the cause of the fatal shooting of a man was killed while on the phone with 911.
A Sheriff's Office report says 47-year-old Fred William Turner, Jr., of Orlando called 911 on Saturday to report that someone was following him while driving down Interstate 4. Turner told dispatchers that the car following him had earlier pulled up next to him and someone inside the car took out a gun.
Turner said he didn't know why the car was following him and while on the phone with 911, dispatchers reported hearing multiple gunshots.
Witnesses told authorities that Turner then pulled off the roadway as the suspect fled. Turner died at the scene.
Authorities don't know how many people were in the suspect's car.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- FBI: Orlando Man Fatally Shot in Boston Bombing Probe
- Keystone Heights Man Fatally Shot by ASO Deputies
- High School Student Shot While Walking Home from Game
- Deputy Fatally Shot-Suspect
- Tampa Bay Man Sentenced to Death
- Tampa Man Accused of Abusing, Killing 3-year-old
- Tampa man charged in identity-theft scheme at VA
- Man Robs Store While Filling Out Job Application
- Man Calls 911 To Keep Girlfriend From Leaving
- Man Struck by Truck While Crossing the Street and Carrying His Dog