Hillsborough County Man Shoots Son
Published September 15th, 2013
LUTZ, Fla. (AP) - A man remained in stable condition in the hospital Sunday after attacking his father who shot him in the chest during the fight, Hillsborough County deputies said.
Deputies responded to a 911 call of a domestic related shooting in Lutz late Saturday involving a father and son. According to detectives, Eric Harris and his girlfriend returned to the home after a football game. Eric Harris, 26, was drunk and began arguing with his girlfriend, authorities said.
The argument spilled over into an argument with his father, Henry Harris, who was about to take his four pit bulls for a walk.
Eric Harris attacked his father from behind and placed him in a choke hold. Henry Harris told deputies he could not breathe, his arms began to tingle, and he started to lose consciousness. He was able to break free, but his son went at him again. Henry Harris then pulled out his handgun and shot his son once in the chest. Henry Harris and a neighbor called 911 and waited for deputies to arrive.
Henry Harris, 61, has a concealed weapons permit and typically carries his handgun for protection when he walks his dogs, deputies noted.
No arrests had been made as detectives continued to investigate the shooting on Sunday. Once completed, the case will be turned over to the Hillsborough County State Attorney's Office who will determine if criminal charges will be filed.
- Fla. Man Accused of Abuse After Young Son Found Dead
- Man Fatally Wounded at Florida Shooting Range
- Son Faces Neglect Charges After Mother Found Dead
- Fla. Woman Meets Son She Gave Up for Adoption
- Zephyrhills Woman Shoots Husband
- Fla. Homeowner Fatally Shoots Invader
- Deadly I-4 Shooting Was a Case of "Mistaken Identity"
- 2 Hurt in Fire/Shooting at Jacksonville Motel
- Two Tampa Bay Deputies Shoot Suspect Several Times
- 1 Dead in Police-Involved Shooting in St. Pete