Woman Arrested for Starving Cats
PINELLAS PARK, Fla. (AP) - A Pinellas County woman has been charged with confinement of animals without sufficient food or water after police found 17 malnourished cats in her apartment.
Jail records show 54-year-old Betty Darlene Dowell was arrested Friday.
She has since posted $150 bond. There wasn't a working phone number listed for Dowell and it wasn't immediately known if she has an attorney.
The Tampa Bay Times reports Dowell was staying at her sister's home when officers discovered the starving felines.
Dowell told officers she returned to the apartment "every several days."
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Orlando woman reunited with missing cat after 8 years
- 2 Starving Horses Found Boarded Up in Stall
- Woman Arrested After Scamming South Florida Students
- "Maddie's Pet Adoption Days" Comes to Gainesville
- Hundreds of Cats Removed from Sanctuary
- Woman Charged with Biting Ear of Another Woman
- Woman gets 50 years for killing woman with car
- Starved Horses and Ponies Moved
- Couple to Enter Pleas in Starved Child Case
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Rehabilitate Two Starved Horses