First Fatality of Biketoberfest
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - An unidentified motorcyclist killed in a crash on area roads marks the first fatality during Biketoberfest - the annual motorcycle festival in Daytona Beach.
Daytona Beach police say the male victim lost control of his bike Friday night, hit a curb and a fence and was pronounced dead at the scene. He was not wearing a helmet.
The Daytona Beach News-Journal reports two motorcyclists were killed Thursday during a private training session at Daytona International Speedway.
Biketoberfest draws motorcycle riders from all over North America and Europe. Festivities include street rallies, bike shows, racing, concerts, charity rides, expos, seminars and celebrity appearances.
The event was started in 1992 as a way to build on the popularity of Daytona Beach Bike Week, a 10-day event held every March.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Suspect Makes First Court Appearance After Fatally Stabbing Gainesville Man
- FBI: Orlando Man Fatally Shot in Boston Bombing Probe
- Fla. Homeowner Fatally Shoots Invader
- Toddler Fatally Struck by Out-of-control Truck
- Argument Over Texting Leads To Fatal Shooting Inside Movie Theater
- Roofer fatally struck by lightning in SW Florida
- Dock Fatality
- Deputy Fatally Shot-Suspect
- Fatal Police Shooting
- Fatal Motorcycle Crash