Man Struck by Truck While Crossing the Street and Carrying His Dog
SAFETY HARBOR, Fla. (AP) - A 68-year-old man is dead after crossing a road and being hit by a car while carrying his family's pet dog.
The Pinellas County Sheriff's Office says Gilbert Greene and his 66-year-old wife were crossing SR580 in Safety Harbor in the Tampa Bay area Friday evening.
According to investigators, Greene was hit by Ford Ranger driven by 52-year-old Mark Cavanagh. Greene was taken to a nearby hospital and pronounced dead.
Detectives say neither speed nor impairment appear to be a factor in the crash.
The Greene family's miniature dachshund "Rudi" ran away after the crash. A citizen found the dog still dragging its red leash about two miles from the site of the crash Saturday morning.
The dog has been returned to Greene's wife.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- North Florida Man in Jail After Riding His Horse While Drunk
- Pedestrian Killed While Crossing Street
- Toddler Fatally Struck by Out-of-control Truck
- 2 Men Struck by Cars While Lying on Road
- Deputies: Man Burglarizes Five Homes On His Own Street
- Man Kills Mother Of His Daughter, While She's Pregnant With Her Next Child
- Man Charged With Having Gun In Carry-On Bag
- Man Arrested For Public Beating Of His Dog
- Man Robs Store While Filling Out Job Application
- Three Charged With Dragging Man Behind Truck