Woman Rescued from Bridge After Cancer Walk
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. (AP) - A woman seen dangling from a Fort Lauderdale bridge has been rescued by firefighters after she participated in a cancer walk earlier in the day.
City officials say the woman was walking across the New River railroad bridge Saturday morning when it began to open. Witnesses called 911 to report that the woman was dangling 22 feet above the tracks with the bridge in the upright position.
Firefighters responded and helped rescue the woman using a 24-foot ladder. She was not injured.
The 55-year-old woman was wearing a pink shirt. She told authorities she had taken part in the breast cancer awareness walk earlier Saturday morning. It was not clear why she was on the bridge since pedestrians are not allowed on it.
The woman was not immediately identified.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Woman Caught After Escaping from Jail
- Woman Dies After Fall From Fishing Boat
- High School Student Shot While Walking Home from Game
- Florida Bridges Ranked Among Best in Bridge Care
- Horses Taken from Rescue Farm
- Daughter And Father Save Three Teens From Burning Car
- Man arrested after kidnapping and raping a woman from a hospital
- Woman released from Gilchrist County jail after Sabal Trail Pipeline arrest
- Woman released from jail using other inmate's identity
- Thousands of Bees Removed from Woman's Home