Protestors Take Action After Man is Killed by Stun Gun
MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Artists and activists are hoping to bring attention during Art Basel Miami to the death of graffiti artist Israel "Reefa" Hernandez-Llach.
Four months ago, Hernandez-Llach died after Miami Beach police shocked him with a Taser.
The Miami Herald reports that friends of the teen and local artists demonstrated Friday outside the Miami Beach Convention Center, where the world famous art fair is being held. The group performed as a "flash mob," revealing shirts with the late artist's face that read "Justice for Israel" as they broke out into protest song.
"Sometimes incidents like Reefa's death happen and people care for a brief moment and then they forget about it and think, 'Oh well, it's OK,'" said Vivian Azalia, who helped organize the demonstration. "But we haven't forgotten and don't want people to think it's OK."
The case remains under investigation. Activists have demanded disciplinary actions for the officer involved and Hernandez-Llach's family has filed a lawsuit against the Miami Beach Police Department claiming police violated his civil rights.
Police have said Hernandez-Llach ran after they spotted him spray-painting the wall of a fast-food restaurant in August. They say he ignored their orders to stop and was shocked once with the Taser in the chest. Hernandez-Llach later died at a hospital.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Man Rents Gun, Kills Self at Orlando Gun Range
- A Man is Killed after Pointing a Gun at Officers
- Deputies Forced to Stop Using Stun Guns
- Suwannee Man Arrested After Allegedly Killing Two Men
- Mentally Disabled Man Sentenced After Shooting, Killing Father
- Man Convicted After Killing Another, Burning House Down
- Scott Promises Action After Schools Summit Ends
- Man Pulls Gun on Wife, Takes Friend Hostage
- Marion County Sheriffs Upgrade Stun Guns
- Supreme Court Won't Review Police Use of Stun Guns