Boy dies after being mauled by 2 pit bulls
Published July 20th, 2014
RIVERVIEW, Fla. - A 4-year-old boy in the Tampa Bay area has died after being mauled by his uncle's two pit bulls, authorities said Sunday.
Logan Shepard was visiting the Riverview home of his aunt and uncle with his mother Saturday night. Billy Frederick Sr., Logan's uncle, put the dogs in crates just before the boy arrived, said Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Debbie Carter.
Logan was left alone, eating ice cream, while his mother, a teenage cousin and the other adults were talking in another room. The adults heard screaming and discovered that the boy was not in the house, Carter said.
Two deputies conducting an unrelated traffic stop nearby also heard the screams and rushed to the home. Logan was found in the front yard with the dogs standing over him, Carter said.
Frederick immediately put the dogs in crates again, but Logan was pronounced dead at the scene, Carter said.
No charges have been filed, but the dogs were taken by the county's Animal Services.
There is no history of Animal Services previously being called to Frederick's home, according to the sheriff's office.
- Panhandle Boy Dies After Attack By Bulldogs
- Man Who Stabbed Pit Bull To Death During Dogfight Arrested
- Pit Bull Attack In Gainesville Kills Dog & Injures Owner
- Boy Dies In Car While Parents At Funeral
- Man accused of neglect after leaving boy alone
- Witness calls 911 after boy dragged in alligator attack
- Boy Faces Charges after Joyride
- Florida dad arrested after baby dies in hot car
- Motorcyclist Dies After Road Rage Incident at Gas Station
- Construction Worker Dies After Lightning Strike