Video: Islamic State group beheads Japanese journalist
Published January 31st, 2015
CAIRO (AP) - An online video released Saturday night purported to show an Islamic State group militant behead Japanese journalist Kenji Goto, ending days of negotiations by diplomats to save the man.
The video, released on militant websites and highlighted by militant sympathizers on social media sites, bore the symbol of the Islamic State group's al-Furqan media arm.
Though the video could not be immediately independently verified by The Associated Press, it conformed to other beheading videos released by the extremists, who now control a third of both Syria and neighboring Iraq in its self-declared caliphate.
The video, called "A Message to the Government of Japan," featured a militant who looked and sounded like a militant with a British accent who has taken part in other beheading videos by the Islamic State group. Goto, kneeling in an orange prison jumpsuit, said nothing in the roughly one-minute-long video.
"Abe," the militant says in the video, referring to Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, "because of your reckless decision to take part in an unwinnable war, this man will not only slaughter Kenji, but will also carry on and cause carnage wherever your people are found. So let the nightmare for Japan begin."
Goto was captured in October, after he traveled to Syria to try to win the release of Haruna Yukawa.
The hostage drama began last week after militants threatened to kill Goto and Yukawa in 72 hours unless Japan paid $200 million.
Jordan and Japan reportedly conducted indirect negotiations with the militants through Iraqi tribal leaders.
(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Latest ISIS video shows beheading of Japanese hostage
- UF professors in Brussels during terrorism attacks
- American Woman Among Two Journalists Killed in Syria
- IS claims responsibility for Ansbach attack
- Young Boy Held Hostage Celebrates Birthday
- Full video: Argument leaves cashier fired, park manager on leave
- Bradenton Man Shot By Police After Holding Girlfriend Hostage
- JSO: Robber holding hostages at Jacksonville bank
- Group visits teens to discuss aids
- Funeral for Journalist Killed