Britain's prime minister to chair his final Cabinet meeting
Published July 12th, 2016
LONDON (AP) -- British Prime Minister David Cameron is chairing a farewell Cabinet meeting before handing over power to his successor following the historic vote to leave the European Union.
Ministers gathered today for the final session - a day after Theresa May was confirmed to be the new Conservative leader. She will spend the day considering the makeup of her own Cabinet.
British media have focused on whether Treasury chief George Osborne will keep his job.
With the pound in crisis and fears over the economy, some argue that May could opt for continuity and keep Osborne in place, particularly as he has the confidence of many in the banks and markets.
But others say that the key position should go to someone who favored leaving the European Union.
(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Emotional Goodbye, Alachua County Commission Chair's Last Meeting
- Britain votes to leave EU: Cameron to resign; markets rocked
- Britain and France Urge Help for Syrian Opposition
- Icebound Ship's Passengers Finally on Land
- The Pope's Final Speech
- Democratic Chair Steps Down 'While Party is Strong'
- Death row inmate Wayne Doty's request for electric chair is pushed back
- Sloan, McMurtry Score 10's in Gators Final Home Meet of Season
- Final meeting for State Road 200 changes
- Biomass Plant Final Air Permit Concerns Voiced at Meeting