Your Health: Gluten-Free Recipes
Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese
Yields: 4-6 servings
· 16 ounces (2 boxes) dried gluten-free elbow macaroni
· 4 ounces light cream cheese
· 4 ounces aged white Cheddar, grated
· 6 oz fresh spinach
Cook the macaroni. Set a large pot of salted water over high heat. Bring the water to a boil. Add the macaroni. Stir for at least 1 minute to make sure the pieces do not stick together. Set the timer for 8 minutes.
Set up the sauce. While the pasta is boiling, put the cream cheese, Cheddar and spinach in the bottom of a large, wide bowl.
When the macaroni is tender, go ahead and drain it. Put it on top of the cheese and spinach. Pour in about 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the water the macaroni cooked in. Let everything sit for 5 minutes covered. Stir the mixture until the macaroni is coated in a creamy sauce, with spinach dotted through it.
You can use any cheeses you like here. Just be sure to use one soft cheese, such as goat cheese or cream cheese. Try gruyere or pecorino in place of the cheddar. And any dark greens, such as swiss chard or kale, will work well as a substitute for spinach.
Sweet Chili Shrimp Lettuce Wraps with Avocado Mango Salsa
Yields: 4 servings
· 2 heads Bibb lettuce or 1 head iceberg lettuce
· 3 tablespoons canola oil
· 2 pounds shrimp, deveined and tails removed, coarsely chopped or halved
· 3 to 4 cloves garlic, chopped
· 1 inch fresh ginger
· 1 teaspoon blackening seasoning
· 1 tablespoon sweet chili sauce (gluten free)
· 1 lime, juiced and zested
· 2 tablespoons agave syrup
· 1 to 2 tablespoons Sriracha
· 2 mango, small dice
· 1 red pepper, finely diced
· ½ red onion, finely diced,
· 3 limes, juiced
· ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
· 1 avocado, diced
· 1 small bunch scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish
· Cilantro leaves
Separate the lettuce into cups and reserve.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil in a skillet and sauté the ginger and garlic. To the same skillet, add the shrimp and blackening seasoning and cook until the shrimp begin to turn pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the lime juice, zest, sweet chili sauce, agave and Sriracha. Toss and set aside.
To make the salsa, combine the mango, pepper, onion, lime juice, cilantro and avocado.
To assemble the taco, scoop the shrimp mixture into the lettuce cup and top with salsa. Garnish with scallion and fresh cilantro leaf.
Additional Resources for Living Gluten-Free
A Gluten Intolerance Group here in North Central Florida meets 5 to 6 times a year. Contact Janet Frank by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP and get location of the meeting.
Gluten-Free Gainesville, FL is a Facebook Page members use to get ideas for gluten-free friendly restaurants and other tips.
Some Other Useful Websites:
Gluten Intolerance Group www.gluten.net
Celiac Disease Foundation www.celiac.org
Celiac Central www.celiaccentral.org
Celiac Sprue Association csaceliacs.org
Celiac Disease Center (at University of Chicago) www.cureceliacdisease.org
- North Florida Regional Medical Center Program Combats Growing Infectious Disease Problem
- Your Health: New Technology For Managing Chronic Pain
- Your Health: Age and Exercise
- Your Health: Cancer Study Deadline Approaching
- Your Health: The Benefits of Partial Knee Replacement
- Your Health: Prophylactic Mastectomies Increasing
- Your Health: Are you at risk for type 2 diabetes?
- Your Health: Healing Chronic Wounds
- Your Health: Premature Birth
- Your Health: Treating Calcified Arteries